Beloved Concordia Family and Friends,
Hurricane Harvey has wreaked havoc on the Coastal Bend area of Texas. The remnants of the storm have been referred to as an “800-year flood event.” (Think about that. 800 years ago, it was 1217 AD!) There are so many that have been and are being impacted by this storm.
While we, here in San Antonio, sit in relative safety, it is heavy on my heart to encourage all of us to help and use our blessings to bless those so powerfully afflicted. When I say, “help,” I am thinking of three specific ways.
Immediate ways to help
- Pray for those who are in danger, those who are stranded, and the hundreds, if not thousands, of first responders and citizens who are working tirelessly to provide rescue and relief.
- Pray for this storm to move on! I know that the forecasts say that it isn’t going to happen, but … God is able.
- Pray for those who will see and hear of all the needs associated with this storm. Pray that our response will be unprecedented as we move into action and demonstrate the heart of Jesus as we love our neighbors.
Your donations will help to provide the funds necessary to begin the recovery process and provide for basic needs. There are many ways to give, but here are a couple of simple and powerful ways:
- Make a donation to Concordia. We have established the J2e3 Disaster Relief Fund for this purpose. 100% of the funds collected will be passed along to those in need in the Coastal Bend and Houston areas for Hurricane Harvey relief. CLICK HERE.
- Make your donation to the Disaster Relief Fund of the Texas District. The district has also pledged that 100% of the funds collected will be applied to the needs here in Texas. CLICK HERE.
Please be aware that most agencies that receive gifts for disaster relief keep a percentage of what is received for administrative costs.
How to help in the weeks ahead
Other than first responders and local volunteers, no one is able to enter the most affected areas at this point. We are coordinating with congregations and agencies in the Coastal Bend and Houston areas to be ready when our physical assistance will be welcomed and possible. At this point, there are two types of needs …
- People who are willing to help with preparations here in San Antonio. You don’t have to leave San Antonio to provide wonderful help by preparing supply kits to distribute to the affected areas.
- People who are able, when the opportunity presents itself, to consider making the trip to these areas to provide the physical help that is needed.
So that we are able to act quickly, please consider signing up by clicking this link and letting us know some basic information so we can be in touch with you.
I am grateful for your generosity in time and treasure as we step up to this opportunity and help meet the needs of our brothers and sisters. Thank you for shining like stars in the universe as we hold out the WORD of Life!
Pastor Bill Tucker