The WORD for Today is Romans 6.
Can you imagine … Baptism brings the power of Jesus resurrection to our lives every day! Through our relationship with Jesus our behavior can change … Our thinking can change … Our life can change! Through this very same power, we can “die” each day to sin and old habits and bad attitudes and make different choices … better choices!
Sometimes it seems like our habits and attitudes will never change. Sometimes it seems like our addictions have a strangle-hold on our lives. Romans 6 says, “No!” The power of sin in our lives cannot stand before the power of Jesus and His resurrection.So if you want (need) a change, here’s a starting point.
- Admit the problem. Own it and face it. Admit it to yourself and to God.
- Ask God to forgive you. His promise is that He will say, “Yes.” But you still need to humble yourself enough to ask.
- Believe that the power of God in your life can do far more than forgive your sins. It doesn’t matter what the world says (or that same little voice in your head that says there is no hope), God is in the miracle business EVERY day. I see miracles all the time. This change you need CAN happen with God’s help.
- Pray! Prayer is powerful and it changes things through that same power we’ve need talking about already. God answers. Even better, prayer changes us. Best of all, when we don’t even know where to start, the Holy Spirit intercedes (prays) for us.
- Get help. If you could break this cycle all by yourself, you would have long ago! You need some input and encouragement and accountability. That is probably involves more than just one person. Don’t let that overwhelm you. For now, who is the one person you can start with to help you think this through? If there is no one you can think of, what about reaching out to a pastor?
- Read the Bible! God’s WORD is powerful. Start with this chapter. Move on to Romans 8. Go back and begin the whole book of Romans. Read the Gospel of John. Get the idea? Get started!
God has the power and the love for you to make this change happen. Are you ready?
Well then, should we keep on sinning so that God can show us more and more of his wonderful grace? Of course not! Since we have died to sin, how can we continue to live in it? Or have you forgotten that when we were joined with Christ Jesus in baptism, we joined him in his death? For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism. And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may live new lives. Romans 6:1-4 NLT